Account with the insurrection of January 6


[ad_1]

How history will judge

There must be an account for the January 6 attack | Chronicle of January 5

In the not too distant future, when historians look back and reflect on the events that led to the end of this delicate American experiment called democracy, I think they will see January 6, 2021 as the zero point. They will understand that Donald Trump was a catalyst that propelled already latent problems into a scorching catastrophe and resulted in a weak attempt to overthrow the United States government. The real problem is how this incredible event was digested by the Republican Party and turned into “just another day in January”. When loyalty to one man takes precedence and is accepted over loyalty to the Constitution, the house of cards will fall apart.

Glenn Poskocil, Tampa palm trees

Make examples

There must be an account for the January 6 attack | Chronicle of January 5

There are a multitude of opinions about what really happened a year ago regarding the attempted coup of the US government by supporters of Donald Trump. But what if the rioters captured Mike Pence (or Nancy Pelosi)? Would a public hanging on the Capitol grounds of our nation have changed the mindset of the Right? It is high time to make examples of the leaders of the Republican Party and to judge them for their deplorable actions.

Gregory Premer, St. Pete Beach

Net metering numbers

Net Metering Helps Florida’s Underprivileged | Chronicle of December 28

This column misleads readers about net metering. This article claims that “low and moderate income communities have turned to rooftop solar power.” Since the average cost of self-reported rooftop solar in Florida is well over $ 30,000, it’s not an affordable option for those trying to make ends meet every month. Here’s the injustice the writer does not share: Under current net metering rules, these working families are the ones subsidizing the few who can afford to buy private roof systems. The estimated net metering subsidy paid by all Florida Power & Light customers is on track to reach approximately $ 30 million this year. It is not true that private rooftop solar power is a benefit to all customers. Here’s the truth: Private solar systems provide benefits only to the individuals who own them, to the detriment of everyone else. To be clear, FPL supports net metering and will always support customers who choose to purchase private solar systems, but they would have to pay the full cost of their system without relying on inflated bill credits paid by all customers. That is why we fully support the bill that attacks this unfair subsidy. Whether they’re renting out their home or business, living in a condo, simply can’t afford or want to pay the costs associated with private solar power, not everyone can or chooses to install its own system. We believe Florida and our customers benefit the most when the most solar power is installed for the lowest cost. This is unmistakably achieved through large-scale ground-mounted solar power – like the 42 solar power plants that FPL owns today – which is more than three times more cost effective than rooftop solar power. It’s time to update an outdated state mandate that created a grant received by 0.5% of our clients and paid by the remaining 99.5%. While anyone should be able to install solar power on their roof, we don’t think it’s fair that everyone should be forced to help pay for it.

Dave reuter

The writer is the communications director of the Florida Power & Light Company.

Hed is going here.

Many retirees skimp too much | Chronicle of January 4

Columnist Alexis Leondis suggests that many retirees are not spending enough and that financial advisers see this as a “big deal”. Beside his article are several letters regarding the need to cancel government loans to students who have spent more on their studies than they can afford to repay. Looks like we older people may have learned something in our youth that a lot of younger people haven’t learned. Sorry, Ms. Leondis, but I don’t pay a dime to a financial advisor who urges me to spend more money in order to be in good financial shape for my future.

Michael Patterson, Tampa

Freedom of expression

The pursuit of UF professors may continue | January 5

It is so perfectly encouraging and excellent that the Chief Justice of the United States, Mark Walker, clearly understands the nature and motives of the wrongdoers behind the University of Florida’s attempts to crush the constitutional rights of professors whose policies offend. GOP politicians in Tallahassee. It is also great that the loudmouth of UF board chairman Mori Hosseini earned him a gigantic and resounding reprimand from the judge in response to the defendants’ false assurances of future good behavior. It is nothing less than a blow to the GOP’s right-wing authoritarianism, and therefore a morale booster.

Steve Douglas, Saint PETERSBOURG

[ad_2]

Comments are closed.