Parish administrator and executive assistant to the rector – Episcopal press service
Parish Administrator-Job Description
Title: Parish administrator and executive assistant to the rector of the Church of Christ
Succession: Rector, Episcopal Church of Christ
Status: Regular Full time (30h / week)
Summary of position: Under the supervision of the rector, the parish administrator and executive assistant to the rector of the Church of Christ, provides general administrative support to the parish, staff, congregation and commissions / committees, in order to support the rector in the faithful execution of the mission and ministry of the Episcopal Church of Christ. This work includes, but is not limited to: data and records management, facilities management, telephone and email support, supplies and inventory management, communications work, customer service management use of church space by parish and outside groups, support for church ministries and committees, and collaboration with volunteers. The parish administrator and executive assistant to the rector will be a resource person for members and non-members, and a welcoming and responsive presence in our church office. The Parish Administrator and Executive Assistant to the Rector is employed at Christ Church and holds office at the discretion of the Rector of Christ Church.
- Maintain a functional system of communication with the parish and ensure a welcoming presence.
- Maintain parish records, including financial, membership, diocesan, material and other operational data, keeping them up to date and accurate
- Produce reports, directories and other documents from the parish archives under the direction of the rector, the sacristy and the direction of the committee, in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the parish calendar to facilitate the use of the building by authorized internal and external groups.
- Produce and distribute the weekly electronic collection and the monthly parish bulletin by email and mail in case of unavailability of the communications coordinator
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of marketing materials as directed.
- Submit information to the webmaster and help manage the church’s online presence (website and Facebook pages, online advertising, etc.).
- Any other responsibility that the rector may assign
- Assist the rector, music director and others in developing the annual parish calendar
- Provide a welcoming and helpful presence at the parish office.
- Update from the rector on the daily activities of the parish
- Assist the rector and the Spiritual Life Commission by organizing annual days of the parish, the Lent, Advent and Lent booklet and by supporting the volunteers of the annual parish assembly
- Meet each morning with the rector to assess daily activities and preparations
- Respond to requests for information and resources by email, phone and in-person visits.
- Provide administrative support to committees and departments, including: preparing meeting documents or posting minutes; make copies of documents, send letters, etc.
- Supervise Church Sexton and daycare service providers
- Place orders for supplies and equipment as authorized.
- Coordinate with the accountant to maintain financial records for the parish.
- Coordinate with suppliers as delegated by the rector, custodians and the buildings and grounds committee.
- Communicate regularly with the rector, ward staff and wardens regarding facility needs, including installation and cleaning for special events.
- Produce lists, correspondence and other documents.
- Coordinate and maintain church office volunteers
- Sort incoming mail and send parish mail and other outgoing mail
- Supervise all external contractors on the Church campus
- Maintain and manage the rector’s calendar and the parish calendar
- Inform the rector of any need for pastoral care and maintain confidentiality
- Notify the Parish Ministries Coordinator of:
- The new families of the parish
- All transitions in the parish birth, adoption, marriage and death
- Any need that is not related to the clergy “‘
- Handy needs for meals
- Baptism dates
- Make sure all gifts for the baptized are properly marked and ready for distribution
- Assist in the preparation and proofreading of worship materials and Sunday morning newsletters and other services. This primary responsibility of the parish administrator currently managed by the director of music will revert to the parish administrator on January 1, 2020 after the completion of a larger consultation.
- Prepare information on flower donations, help coordinate schedules of lectionaries and ministries, send reminders as scheduled.
- Provide assistance with tracking the liturgical calendar and planning church events as needed.
- Maintain the parish ministry schedule
Support for volunteers:
- Assist in the recruitment, coordination and planning of volunteers as required, under the direction of the President or the direction of the Committee.
- Organize the work flow and maintain an orderly and usable office environment to enable efficient use of volunteers.
- Help coordinate special events.
Registration and IT management:
- Manage and maintain the Christ Church database
- Coordinate all computers and equipment for the Christ Church office
- Manage the IT and software needs of Christ Church
- Maintain parish registers for weddings, funerals, baptisms, memberships and transfers
- Update Constant Contact with visitor information before Thursday
- Responsible for securing funds collected during the week
- Make sure all funds are deposited into the Christ Church bank account
- Submit a weekly verified cashier report to the treasurer of monies collected for all services
- Maintain data on parishioners’ contributions, pledges, non-binding offerings and community rentals
- Using ACS-REALM, generate and distribute quarterly financial statements for parishioners
- Negotiate and oversee contracts with Christ Church vendors
- Manage and budget the office petty cash
- Maintain and budget Christ Church credit card accounts with Staples, Office Depot, Quill, Lowes and Home Depot
- Manage and pay office bills
- Prepare and manage the Office’s budget
- Manage staff calendars and vacations
- Other responsibilities that may arise from time to time
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong writing and grammar skills, including proofreading.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word Processing, Excel, Publisher, spreadsheet and database applications including ACS-REALM
- Proficient in social media, constant contact, website application, graphic design
- Demonstrated organizational skills including planning, project coordination and prioritization.
- Ability to effectively manage workload.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of people and information at all times.
- Knowledge of office etiquette and effective communication skills. Basic knowledge of invoice and purchase order transactions.
- Knowledge of the procurement of supplies, including the ability to research supplier prices and negotiate costs.
- Welcoming disposition, willingness to accept and serve all who come to Christ Church
- Must have a good knowledge of facility maintenance
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Must pass a background investigation to comply with church requirements.
- Vacation: 2 weeks paid (prorated over the year as the working days are over)
- 7 paid public holidays: New Year’s Day; Easter (Monday after), Memorial Day, June 19, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
- 8 paid personal / sick days (pro rata for the year; personal days would be preprogrammed with the rector)
- 2 days of continuing education
- Flexible hours: overtime may be required during peak periods, which will be compensated by time off as agreed with the rector
- Planned continuing education budget
- This position includes eligibility for health, dental and disability insurance as well as a defined benefit pension.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in office automation, communication included, is required.
- Experience in a church or other ministry is preferred.
- A bachelor’s / associate’s degree in administration, communication or a related field is required.
To apply, send a CV and cover letter before July 21, 2021.